Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Off to the Movies - Smart People

Whilst knitting baby clothes with the new haul (And they look very bright) has been my main knitting focus my non-knitting social life is taking a bit of a front seat (with leaving a job and all!)

Last night we went to the movies to see Smart People.

A fabulous cast led by Dennis Quaid, Sarah Jessica Parker, Thomas Haden Church (My favourite) and Ellen Page (of Juno) manages to make a group of relatively unlikeable characters totally loveable. The story ark is soft but the dialouge and the acting more than surpass this short-coming. This film has you laughing, whilst squirming with discomfort at the same time.

This story of a widowed university/college professor and his highly intelligent dysfunctional family who spend their time criticising life rather than living it is well paced and a totally enjoyable film. Thomas Haden Church is one of the most undervalued actors of our time. He is always spot on whether he is playing annoying or vulnerable.

This was a preview screening presented for Clubink members - Filmink Subscribers who pay a little extra to get a film preview a month (and usually a bit more). I love this option as I see films I often wouldn't probably see, and quite a few I would.

No comments: